I hope this month you’ve learnt about some inspiration role models and the discrimination that LGBTQ people can face.
Today is a chance to think how you can help end that discrimination. What can you do where you study, live or work to increase LGBTQ inclusion?
Here’s some ideas:
- There are specific days to mark and celebrate LGBTQ identities throughout the year. The next of these is International Non-Binary People’s Day on 14th July. Could you put up a post about it at work?
- Earlier this month we looked at different LGBTQ groups. Could you hold a fundraising event for one? It could be the 2020 classic Zoom quiz or a personal challenge like a sponsored run.
- Does your workplace have gender neutral toilets? Who can help you introduce them?
- Get involved with or set up an LGBTQ network where you work or study. These groups need the support of allies as well.
- Suggest people say what their pronouns at the start of meeting and introductions, along with their names.
- Find out when your local Pride is. Could your workplace support it? Local pride organisations need support all year round to make their activities happen.
- Ask your LGBTQ friends how they are, especially when you hear news that might matter to them.
- Keep being a visible role model or ally. Keep learning about LGBTQ history and identities. Keep using your voice.
There’s no shortage of actions you can take. Think about what you’re passionate about , what you can do and who can help you to make the most effective change.
What will you change?